GD STi owners with the stock spoiler: weatherstripping

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I searched and we don't have a thread on this yet:

The stock spoiler weatherstrip.

This is something I never thought was a possibility when I got my car 4 years ago up until last year. My spoiler started to rust on the corners where water runs down through the small crevice between the spoiler and trunk. Only then did I start looking online to see why it was rusting. Ah behold, we need to change the weatherstrip once a year! Something that isn't told or come across unless it happens to you. This is the reason I sold my stock trunk and got a WRX trunk. So, how many of you saved yourself the severe headache of rust underneath the spoiler? I wasn't fortunate enough. :(

Where can you buy the weatherstripping from and is once a year a good enough time frame for changing it?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
No one replaces their weatherstripping, eh? :lol:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Ours is never outside. :rofl:

Garage status :lol:
Though this would be nice to know anyways cause I'm up here on the rainy side :p

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=3232]CSF707[/MENTION] Rain won't affect it as much. I still think it should be replaces, but only every 3 years as opposed to each year if you live somewhere where it snows. It's not the snow that ruins it, but rather the salt, moisture, and rain combined. :tdown:

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
so is this something i get from the dealer? i'm starting to notice rust spots under the wing i want to do this asap

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Good question. Ive only seen a link posted once and it was a generic self applied weatherstripping liner.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
i just saw a post on iwsti.com about it they used a regular rubber weatherstrip cut into sections to fit the wing. post doesnt say where to get it... home depot i guess?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I can do some research when i get home. I didnt touch mine for 3 years and then rust started pouring from the 2 vents where water rinses out from under the spoiler. So i sold the trunk and got a wrx trunk. No more worries with weatherstripping. Phew! :lol:

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
thats exactly where it is.. its light tho so i think its just starting. id rather not get rid of the wing i just bought perrin stiffis for it lol plus its signature.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Oh boy i hope it isnt too bad. Have you seen pics on iwsti of what 6 months looks like? Diiiiissssggggggusssssttttiiinnnngggg!!!!!

3 years was a loss for me. So if youre seeing it. You might have to take it off and resurface the paint. Only way to tell for sure is when you get to it. Can you take a pic???

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yours is as bad as mine was. Oh man this is gonna be nasty when you take off the spoiler. :(

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ok well i can also say ive seen worse. :lol:

Well see when you get to taking the spoiler off but i didnt wanna deal with it. Thats why i sold mine. :(

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
i love the spoiler too much to get rid of it right now.. maybe later on when the car progresses ill do a cf trunk or something but right now i think that would look silly on a stock car

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
When will you take the time to take eveything apart?

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
i ordered perrin wing stabilizers and some cf vinyl for the top center section so when those arrive im gunna start taking it apart and ill re do the weatherstripping while im at it

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow youre making your spoiler look exactly like i had mine! :lol: :tup: