HolyCrapItsFast... Cyberu belongs to someone else now.

SudoSTI

No P&P for any USDM STIs unfortunately. They don't support DBW, which all USDM STIs are. JDM and Aussie (Haltech is Australian) STIs had DBC through the GDs. GR went to DBW. My fabricator is a Haltech dealer so I've been looking into getting a P&P ECU and swapping to a matching EJ207. I have an 02 WRX though so I'm still DBC and can get away with it.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
No P&P for any USDM STIs unfortunately. They don't support DBW, which all USDM STIs are. JDM and Aussie (Haltech is Australian) STIs had DBC through the GDs. GR went to DBW. My fabricator is a Haltech dealer so I've been looking into getting a P&P ECU and swapping to a matching EJ207. I have an 02 WRX though so I'm still DBC and can get away with it.

This is just one reason I went with AEM besides familiarity... It does support DBW. Of all the EMS solutions out there AEM seems to be the most well rounded of them all. Plus they sell one all encompassing package. I'm not sure about Haltech, but AEM does not have a bunch of complicated licenses or sell you a basic device and then charge for upgrades and options.

SudoSTI

Just checked again and they have a piggyback device you can add DBW if you'd like. Other than that they have expansion packs if you'd like to add more inputs/outputs than what normally is included. And they have a CAN hub for CAN connections on the ECUs where CANBUS is enabled. Excuse me if my terminology is poor, I'm not a pro-level standalone expert.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
This is just one reason I went with AEM besides familiarity... It does support DBW. Of all the EMS solutions out there AEM seems to be the most well rounded of them all. Plus they sell one all encompassing package. I'm not sure about Haltech, but AEM does not have a bunch of complicated licenses or sell you a basic device and then charge for upgrades and options.
How expensive are we talking there George?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I think my EMS was under $1600 from Jordan. The whole package with the patch harness was $1820. The flexfuel sensor was $50 on Ebay.

To be honest I don't think anyone else is going to come close for what you get with the AEM.

Keep in mind that for the 2004 you have to actually purchase the EMS for the 2005-2006 and swap the fuel pump and speed sensor wires, Hence the patch harness. I don't like cutting into my existing harness because I need to revert to OBDII once a year.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
My oil cooler came in. I will be installing this over the weekend. I will be controlling the fans with my multi gauge display since it monitors oil temps. I'll have them come on when temps reach 195F. This cooler is made by Derale and is typically use in trucks and haulers. People are just now recognizing them for use in race applications.

20150608_163646.jpg

20150608_163659.jpg

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
How much does one of those run? Does it have a thermostat too As the STI becomes a more dedicated "fun" car I'm thinking I need some oil cooling for track days, but given the winter duty, I'd need it to bypass

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
How much does one of those run? Does it have a thermostat too As the STI becomes a more dedicated "fun" car I'm thinking I need some oil cooling for track days, but given the winter duty, I'd need it to bypass

The cooler does not come with a thermostatic sandwich plate but they do sell an installation kit that has everything you need including the sandwich plate. I purchased the cooler and the kit for about $350. In hindsight, I would have bought the cooler from Derale and sourced everything else elsewhere. You can find a thermostatic sandwich plates from other manufacturers that are better. Derale's kit comes with -8an fittings and 1/2" rubber hose. Personally I don't think that is large enough so I ended up buying -10an fittings and braided 5/8" line from Summit instead and using only the sandwich plate from the kit. Most expensive sandwich plate ever. :x For the fans you can find a thermosatic switch as well as an in-line adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/Derale-15840-...8&qid=1433963901&sr=1-4&keywords=derale+hyper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180F-THERMO...TER-/331561948955?hash=item4d32a1d71b&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-Pipe-...uel-/260609611746?hash=item3cad8b17e2&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10AN-10AN-t...3-8-/290836496022?hash=item43b734be96&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNI-MOCAL-O...-SR-/400892576488?hash=item5d570f42e8&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Derale-Ther...1&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=400892576488&rt=nc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mishimoto-M...Gol-/390883122117?hash=item5b02731bc5&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
We mounted my oil cooler today. There is not allot of places you could put this thing but we found a nice cozy little spot behind the bumper on the passenger side. It is almost like this place was made for this oil cooler and the 04 bumper design even complements its placement. The fog light cover has a vent hole in it that allows air to be forced into the area and below that is the vent in the lip. If you can visualize the air flow you can see it flowing over the surface of the cooler. It's like Subaru designed this space just for this purpose.

20150612_165507.jpg

20150612_174541.jpg

20150612_174604.jpg

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I have my break duct inlets right there, but it really does seem like a design feature, not an accident!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Added functionality to my multi function gauge with oil cooler fan control. It really keeps the oil temperature exactly where I want it and under any condition. This is a quick video idling on my driveway. Take note that the oil stays with in a 5 degree delta. In even the hottest weather, it never goes outside that range. I recently tested this to the extreme with a long drive to Virginia. Temps never went above 195*.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] you're a genius!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
You were in VA and didn't call! Pssssh.

Im jealous, I really do need an oil cooler set up like yours. Very jelly.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You're near DC right? My dad is on the Eastern Shore on the peninsula. That's where I go but it is probably geographically undesirable for either of us to make a special trip. Perhaps if I had a week then I would tour around.

You can have one to!!! All you need is the cash :lol:. Would you like me to post a parts list? :tup: Also I would make you a controller for it.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I may pay you to make one for me eventually, but right now I'm so broke!

But definitely let me know if you're coming to the DC area and I'll buy you a beer or six.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I definitely will... Especially when you dangle beer in front of my face!

For the controller, the only thing I would have you buy is the display if you want a multi gauge like mine. That thing is pretty pricey... unless you prefer some other low cost solution like a mono color OLED display and less functionality. I am flexible.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
It's high time I started making some engine improvements starting with replacing the laggy front mount...

20150731_133959.jpg

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Okay everyone! I Finally installed my AWIC. For anyone considering replacing their TMIC with an FMIC, I strongly recommend you consider an AWIC instead. For one, the difference in spool with an AWIC as compared to a FMIC is night and day. On my old setup I had a Perrin FMIC coupled to a Blouch Dominator 3. The turbo typically spooled late in the low 4000 rpm range. Now, with the AWIC, there is little discernible lag on the same turbo. I swear it feels like it has a supercharger. What attributes to this low lag is the very short run of the piping we fabricated as well as the small design intercooler itself even beyond that of the stock TMIC.

Here is an example showing the old system out of the car. Even a big turbo will struggle to fill nearly 13 feet of piping and intercooler. Below, I will outline the installation as we progressed through the day. Further more I took this example from @Turbineguy who very successfully implemented the same AWIC on his car and also published proof of concept. My implementation is slightly different but results speak for themselves. My implementation utilizes a larger heat exchange and omits the ice box and shortens the water line length.

Thank you to Ray Maragni of Ray's Automotive Performance in Plain View NY for your hard work and amazing fabrication skills This was all finished with in 8 hours.

awic_a.jpg

awic_b.jpg

awic_c.jpg

awic_d.jpg

awic_e.jpg

awic_f.jpg

awic1.jpg

awic2.jpg

awic3.jpg

awic4.jpg

awic5.jpg

awic6.jpg