Catch Cans

nathan2001

I not sure if this is the right area for this. But I was wondering when do you need a catch can on your car? It's it better to have one if your running E85? What is the best catch can for the price? I was looking at the element tuning one.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
If you are running E85 a catch can or AOS is a must. The moisture build up with E85 is horrible in some cases usually in low mileage situations that don't allow the engine and oil to heat up sufficiently enough to evaporate the moisture.

With AOS's be careful though. Not all are created equally because some just separate the liquid components from the blow by and all of the moisture that is separated is just sent back to the motor. The better ones actually separate the oil and moisture components separately and sends the moisture back to the intake and the oil back to the engine. The IXIZ concept AOS is one that comes to mind.

With a catch can there is no doubt but it requires a degree of maintenance. You have to empty them constantly and you need to check your oil more frequently because it is not being returned to the motor. When you select your oil catch can make sure you purchase one with sufficiently large input and output ports to accommodate the flow of the blow by system. Also do not by the Vent to Atmosphere type cans. This creates a leak in the intake system.

I was removing about 2 pints of clear water every two week from my catch cans when I was running E85.

Last edited:

nathan2001

Have you had any hands on experience with the IXIZ concept AOS? I don't mind spending the money if it is a quality unit. I don't like buying things twice if you know what I mean. And is the install of the unit pretty easy/straight forward? It looks like it. But I never used them before on any of my cars.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I have no personal experience with the IXIZ but BadSTi and Fujiwara use them. I'm also with Rek on the other brands as well. :tup: Those companies all did their research and are quality proven items.

ZachTTLM

^^ these guys are spot on..so the best i can do is recommend good products. With that being said, I recommend the Crawford Performance or the Grimmspeed set-ups. Contact us at sales@tothelimitmotorsportz.com for IGOTASTI specific pricing.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
So I must admit I've been eyeing the Crawford system due to the integrated coolant line in their revised (V2) AOS. It's my understanding that especially during the winter, it is perhaps a better solution. I've heard of other systems developing a buildup of water/oil/etc... I know some people will remove AOSes during the winter, but I don't really see myself doing that. Is the buildup really an issue? Are there any other AOSes that have implemented a similar system?

Paul.c

I don't know off hand of any other companies doing that with the coolant line(someone correct me if I am wrong).

jswansti

I should really puck one of these up. At least I drive about 60 miles a day, 30 each way to work, so I know the engine is fully warmed up. Still be nice to have though. Im thinking either grimmspeed or Crawford.

ZachTTLM

Shoot me an email or PM me, I would be happy to reply with a price on both brands :)

Grinder34

Track Monkey
This seems like a good enough place to ask this:

I have a good deal on a Crawford AOS, but its for a FMIC. Does anyone know the difference between the units? Is the mounting bracket or unit itself different, or just hose lengths?

Paul.c

This seems like a good enough place to ask this:

I have a good deal on a Crawford AOS, but its for a FMIC. Does anyone know the difference between the units? Is the mounting bracket or unit itself different, or just hose lengths?

I believe the difference is the hose length as well as the position of the mounting bracket welded to the AOS canister. The FMIC is designed to be mounted in a different place than the TMIC version. I imagine you could get either to work even if you had to go to a automotive parts store to buy your own hose.

ZachTTLM

Oh cool, thanks! I will probably have to wait until march or summer, funds are pretty tight but i'll give you a haller when im truly in the market :)

Sounds Good...

I believe the difference is the hose length as well as the position of the mounting bracket welded to the AOS canister. The FMIC is designed to be mounted in a different place than the TMIC version. I imagine you could get either to work even if you had to go to a automotive parts store to buy your own hose.

Yea its just the matter of mounting bracket and hoses...