EJ257 - 2008 STI Hatchback, engine replacement?

deraeler

Stock STI hatchback engine with stage 2 harmon motive catback....no engine mods other than exhaust.
75k miles, never seen winter, stored every year.
normal driving a few weeks ago, turbo went. I thought I was hearing transmission/transfer case rattling but it was the disintegrated turbo vanes in the exhaust pipes.
Replaced the turbo with a brand new OEM turbo.

Literally driving home from the shop, shredded a rear tire.
Put the donut on (back tire), tried to drive home car started running really strangely, rough, taking it very slow.
I adjusted the center diff control on the console forward figuring I wanted as little traction as possible from the rear.
Still running roughly it stalled out. Started and had difficulty keeping it running....I would drive a short distance at 15 mph and it started struggling and stalled out. All the dash lights came on as the startup-check but nothing specific when it died. I Was concerned about getting out of a busy road...check engine light may have come on at this point - I presume it must have as there is a cylinder problem happening. Engine made hard knock sounds and would not start. Had it towed back to the shop.

Engine making a couple noises...pulled the belts on the front - still noises.
CYL 2 misfire error. CYL 2 is down to 95% on a compression test, should be 142-171.
Oil and Coolant are both full.

1. Should I have them pull the valve cover and check the top end, or presume the engine is shot and stop throwing money at it?

2. Is it possible some of the shattered turbo could have made its way back to the cylinder?

3. If I need to replace the engine can you recommend a source? Should I just get a crated OEM block, or are there some good recovered engines out there?

4. Is a rebuild worth pursuing?

I can't believe I'm lookin at this at 75k, I babied this thing and it was never fed anything but Mobil 1 products.
Never seriously raced, always stored indoors. Sure I had some fun driving the car aggressively at times, but always respected the car. I just don't get where this is coming from.

Please help - heartbroken and seem to be at a crossroads with this car, it's been a joy and I need to make an informed decision about how much I should invest in resurrecting it.