E_15 GAS WARNING

jefferis

VP of I.G.O.T.A., LLC
Do not use E-15 gas in your car. It will damage your engine. The AAA club is putting out the warnin
Check out the video.

For those of you who do not have 2012 cars or newer please watch this video from Fox Business news-very informative.
If you have cars/trucks, YOU NEED TO WATCH THIS and pass it on to all of your friends.

LOOK CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU PUMP. Void your warranty!!!! All from our wonderful, benevolent and protective government. If you 've got a car you need to watch this.

Watch this video from Fox Business...if your CAR IS OLDER THAN 2012 you need to AVOID THE NEW E15 GAS that is just starting to show up at gas stations. Most car companies will not honor the warranty on your car if you use this new gas.

[video]http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2000862202001/[/video]

Please pass this on to everyone you know.

Last edited by a moderator:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
GEESE!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow?!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Using high concentrations of ethanol in my '08 with no problems and the fact that I WORK IN THE OIL AND GAS INDUSTRY, makes me see this article as it really is, half truths with a healthy dose of sensationalism. I have been doing research on the ethanol thing since it's rapid expansion in the early-mid 2000's.
There is cause for concern as maybe ECU's might not tolerate higher concentrations of ethanol, but in regards to your car falling to pieces, pure rubbish.
These ladies are no more experts on the subject matter than my butcher would be.
I remember when my dad freaked because the last gas station around stopped serving leaded fuel. I also remember when the last "can" of oil went away from the shelves. Everything is still fine as it was before.
There are drawbacks, as with petrol, but we are used to petrol and not so ethanol. We will get used to the ethanol, in time, or we will have to. Ethanol is coming and petrol will slowly be fazed out... period. Brazil has been using it exclusively for decades and they are just fine.
So, take this as fair warning but don't buy into the fear mongering.

Soapbox for another day, but please people, educate yourself on the issues.

jefferis

VP of I.G.O.T.A., LLC
But the American Petroleum Institute says a three-year study conducted by automakers and the oil industry found that E15 is a consumer safety issue for a majority of drivers with pre-2012 vehicles. "Our testing of a range of ethanol levels at 15% to 20% has identified issues about engine durability,'' API group director and engineer Bob Greco says.

How is one supposed to educate oneself if you're not an expert in the field and the API is saying there are problems?

jefferis

VP of I.G.O.T.A., LLC
http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/e15.asp
BMW, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota and VW have said their warranties will not cover fuel-related claims caused by E15. Ford, Honda, Kia, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo have said E15 use will void warranties, says Darbelnet, citing potential corrosive damage to fuel lines, gaskets and other engine components.
True or Not True?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I have to tell you... I saw the video and it is loaded with false truths, propaganda and hearsay.

Lets break it down...

- Her explanation of Phase Separation is not correct. Phase separation occurs only when a sufficient amount of moisture has been absorbed by the ethanol and the density of the ethanol increases causing separation. This is not likely to occur in any mix of fuel provided it is stored properly but even much less likely to occur in a 15% mix at all because the concentration is to low.

- Her comment about Octane decreasing is a wild lie. Why do you think we upgrade our cars to run E85. It is because it is race fuel that you can get for $3.29 a gallon and it has such a high resistance to knock. Octane increases with ethanol content. The issue is that more fuel is needed the higher you get in concentration of ethanol. Because the engine can potentially run leaner is the reason you may run into knock issues. However, every modern engine since 1996 has the capability of compensating for variations in AFR as much as 30% or more. In no way does E15 equate to even a 10% change in AFR... more like 6%. Which is well with in acceptable limits even for open loop operation where it is not being compensated for.

- Her comment about corrosion is a false truth. Ethanol is a solvent, not an acid. It does have a high affinity for moisture which is the issue. Left in a fuel system for to long or stored improperly, will cause moisture to build up. There is a potential for the lines to corrode as a result and only when Phase Separation occurs. Again this is not likely to happen if you know your source of fuel and you drive your car more than once a month. Furthermore cars have been manufactured since the late eighties designed for E10 which has been around that long. The gaskets and hoses used in these cars are designed as such and in the six or more years I have been tuning non flex fuel vehicles with E85, I have not come across one vehicle that has the problems she is suggesting.

- Her comment about it containing 1/3 less energy is a load of shit and if she was right in front of me I would slap her first and then tell her how she is wrong. E85 has 1/3 less energy per volume of fuel. E15 has about 1/16 less energy per volume. However when you simply increase the fuel requirements to the right levels, you energy output per volume of air intake is greater as explained in our "All About E85" writeup. What does this mean for a car that is not specifically tuned for E15? In closed loop operation you will see no difference because the ECU will compensate by adding more fuel. In open loop you will see a small decrease in energy but that does not equate to an equal decrease in power. I do agree that your mileage will suffer but it is marginal at best.

What are you to expect from FOX... They never show both sides of the story. She lost all credibility with me when she said she was with AOL Autos :lol:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I went to "like" and "thank" you for the post, Holy, but those buttons are gone..

Anyways, thanks for that post, very informative!