ok business

Jujubee

so a gift to me is gonna be a 35R and some goodies dw1000 injectors, 255 fp , rails and fmic.. I have plenty of time right now currently deployed, and ive been thinking and been given help for some things. so after or during getting some things I was told or shown that I can do a short block swap from erl idk if anyone has heard of them ? and I can get that and come with forged items I can get the link im just trying to get this out right now and if I do I can keep this block that I pull out for the if anything were to happen down the road.. and I was just curious on what input anyone has cause im steering toward the 35r build and I don't wanna go full race and everything else but any help input on tuners and or parts would be appreciated imam get the list up tomorrow / later and imam get the link to the erl and show what ive been shown thanks guys!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
We should have more information like what is your ultimate goal... street monster daily, Auto cross, Drag Strip. What kind of HP are you expecting?

Those are some pretty awesome prices... Are you going for the EE2N or the EE3N. I think the EE3N would be a better match for the 35R but either one will suite your needs IMO. Never really heard of them before but those prices can't be beat and It seems they take all the right build steps

I don't feel the sleeved block (EE2) is needed until you go nitrous or boost more than 30 psi. Otherwise it is way over kill and can be the cause of many issues if you use it for daily use.

For a 35r build, you need to consider all of the supporting components like cams and at least some mild head work. As well as TGV deletes and downpipe and a nice rotated setup. Fuel pump I would go with an Aeromotive 340 or a Deatschwerks 400 and consider other possible fuel components like rails, lines and regulator. For the tuning you will likely need to go Speed Density for sure.

Last edited:

Jujubee

I want to have a street monster daily that if I have a few friend wanna go to the track take it out there on the weekends. and I was looking into all the other supporting aem fuel regulator desh 1000s ive heard the 850's run in 35r but I want to be on the safe side. agency power top feed fuel rails it was a ccombo comes with the walbro 255 fuel pump too. I was gonna send in the intake manifold and the TGV's to grimspeed to get pnp and get the butterflies removed. and I cant decide on the fmic if to go perrin or turboxs? have heard good on both of them so I don't thinkit would matter much ?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
35r is a pretty hefty turbo for a street car, IMO. This setup would be good for dragstrip or high speed/long tracks.
This type of setup appealed to me years back, for a brief time, until I figured the lag and lack of low end power would drive me insane for a street application. Basically, most of your power is going to put farther north in the rpm range and we all know that high rpm driving is not typical or at least efficient of street cars. Just something to consider when a good portion of your driving will be rowing gears from stoplight to stoplight in low to mid-range.

From what others here have said, my research and others builds, in order to really take advantage of this turbo and safely do so, a complete bottom to top build is needed without sparing much along the way.

35r, a member/mod here, just finished or is still in the midst of a 35r build. He may be able to get you some impressions/advice.

I guess I really have nothing to offer other than just the opinion since I have no 35r nor have built one.

Jujubee

well I was looking at the blocks already, and like what was mentioned before I have been looking into the other things to support it I have time and I mean I know everyone has info. on every part and im curious on the speed density you just need a access port for that when I find a tuner or how does that work ?! that part lost me and then I was gonna get the block and break that in and then swap to the 35r and still looking for the tuner that's gonna be the interesting part.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I thought about a Blousch TD06-20G turbo when I was upgrading. It seemed like it'd be the perfect turbo
for a mix of auto-x, track days and mainly DD. With that being said, I considered a GT30 for a while but
figured the lag would be too great. Long story short, I got an insane deal on a GT3071 turbo and I love it.
You learn to drive it in boost, in the powerband pretty quickly, so on the track lag isn't really much of an
issue.
When I am driving around town, to and from work for example, I generally shift up a bit early. I generally
don't go beyond 3Krpm's in town unless I'm being a dick and passing grandma in her grocery getter. It seems
like, when I keep the revs lower, with the GT30 (in comparison to the stock turbo) I get about the same gas
mileage in the city and even a little bit better (+1.5 mpg) on the highway from 60-80mph or so because boost
has moved up in the rpm range.

Jujubee

ill take a look and im in el paso theres imerj, and speed factory but ive heard about speed factory and all ive ever heard was some bad and imerj was fairly new I guess ? im not sure but anything around would be cool too.

Jujubee

and I was also looking into the 30r but I was in and out about it and I mean I wanna have fun and I wanna be able to mess around to so with that I was looking more at the 35r

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Like 35r said though, when you've added all these parts and make damn good power to the wheels, it's hard to resist
driving in a fashion that yields 9-12 mpg :rallydriver:. LOL

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I've got the 30 and I think I should be able to approach 500whp if everything is done right.
Don't kid yourself, a 35r is a big turbo.

Jujubee

its all part of the package wanna play gotta pay lol but 8 that's a good number lol im pretty positive on this and I wanna go through with it when I come back on tha web site I think it was my second post it has the blocks to choose from and I think it was fast that brough it up Ill go thru with the 3rd choice I thought about it and it would hold up better for the 35r I just gotta go thru with the other supporting mods. for everything to go smoother

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Sometimes i look at my mpg and want to cry.. I saw 8 once.... Lol and then i was like.. I have no one to blame but me..did this to myself hahaha.

LMAO I know the feeling. A few weeks ago, I had 9. After a long day of auto-x about a year ago I had 5. Ouch.....
I got 26 on the highway last weekend, driving back to the Detroit area from Chicago, so that's not so bad. I was moving too...about 76-77 mph.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
My buddy used to joke... "Is that the turbo I hear spooling or is that the engine eating fuel like Rosie O'Donnell at a Krispy Kreme?"

I said..............."BOTH."

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
well I was looking at the blocks already, and like what was mentioned before I have been looking into the other things to support it I have time and I mean I know everyone has info. on every part and im curious on the speed density you just need a access port for that when I find a tuner or how does that work ?! that part lost me and then I was gonna get the block and break that in and then swap to the 35r and still looking for the tuner that's gonna be the interesting part.

No AccessPort required for Speed Density. Open source is much cheaper and IMO is as good or even better now. If a tuner suggests that there is anything wrong or unsafe about using open source or any other reason for that matter, then I would strongly question that tuner's abilities and ethics.

Definitely go with erl for the block. I am interested to see what they do for you and if they are on the up and up. Your not going to find better prices and you are getting good proven components. As mentioned you don't need sleeves and that will save you $1000. :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
No AccessPort required for Speed Density.

If you convert to SD, can the tune still be in an AP format? I've had an open source tune in the
past and I was not able to save it on my AP.

Jujubee

Ill be looking into that for sure about the block and then I have most of the mods but I think I have most bases covered

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
If you convert to SD, can the tune still be in an AP format? I've had an open source tune in the
past and I was not able to save it on my AP.

Well the two are not compatible so it is either or... you just need to choose what solution suits your desires. Either method is great so if you don't mind spending $600 initially for the AP then the AP it should be. I like some of the conveniences that the AP offers.

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Well the two are not compatible so it is either or... you just need to choose what solution suits your desires. Either method is great so if you don't mind spending $600 initially for the AP then the AP it should be. I like some of the conveniences that the AP offers.

The reason I ask is because, I have a blow-thru MAF configuration and a VTA BOV. It's set up just fine the way it is, but some people have said they don't
like that setup due to tuneability issues or whatever the case may be. They ALWAYS say "why don't you just switch to SD?".

HOW MUCH better is Speed Density and why?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The reason I ask is because, I have a blow-thru MAF configuration and a VTA BOV. It's set up just fine the way it is, but some people have said they don't
like that setup due to tuneability issues or whatever the case may be. They ALWAYS say "why don't you just switch to SD?".

HOW MUCH better is Speed Density and why?

Does your current set up work? If so then don't fix what is not broken. :D

As far as whether SD is better than maf... that is a good question for a new thread. :tup: