What Aaap! New Member with 4th Subie en route!

Robb

Hello igotasti.com!
I am new to this site but have been a Subie member of nasioc, iwsti and subaurforester for years. I am planning on purchasing the '15 STI when it comes available for us and cannot wait! This will be my 4th Subie that will be the proper WRB/Gold color as I previously owned an '06 STI, '07 STI, '07 Forester XT Sports that I converted to a FSTI and now the 15 will make #4! My current car is an '88 BMW E30 M3 that is used as my track/daily/fun/whatever car that I built up myself over the past 10 years. I will never let go of it as to many it is an icon but to me it is just my M3 that puts on smile on my face when I drive it or just looking at it in my garage. My first car was a handed down '84 chevy S10 on my 16th birthday that I learned to lower myself and figure out that racing remote control off road race trucks(Team Losi baby!) as a young lad were not too far off the rear thing when it came to set up and suspension geometries! Caster/Camber toe in/out and gearing was a nice segway to real car set ups. I then sold that and purchased a '91 E30 318is that I modified as much as I could afford at 17 working 2 jobs in high school! Working for a major telecom company at 18 afforded me to purchase my dream car at the time, a 2001.5 Audi S4 in Nagaro blue with the blue/black interior 6speed- holy crap the world of turbo's was a full addiction now. I loved that car and still do to this day when I see them in pics or in person. All I did was suspension and an APR chip with BBS 19" CH's and it was perfect for me. After that was sold my next new car was a 2006 STI with in 2005 being the new hawk eye with the rear roof spoiler- I loved that car just as I loved my S4! Bone stock I took it to local autoX's and Sebring for a few track events where it really shined! By far the best mod to do was track days to hone driving skills and to date I have been to Roebling Road, Texas Motor Speedway's infield in Dallas, and Sebring. I then had the '06 tuned by Doug at Top Speed in GA with a COBB TBE and wow Doug is a genius at tuning man! Sadly a few months later it saved my life when my good friend was driving it one night with me in the passenger seat and he lost control on a wet road and we hit an oak tree head and rolled over a few times- dam these cars are SAFE! Not only fun and fast but safe man! As a dad of 4 daughters thats a big deal to be able to walk away without issue! I then purchsed a used '07 STI, then traded that for an '07 Forester XT sports 5spd and I converted that to FSTI with gold prodrives and a VF39 with STI top mount, badges, suspension and all it was awesome! I sold that then bought a 2002 E39 M5 that I recently sold as I loved that 6sp V8 with open pipes- a true grand touring car just really heavy! Now I just have my M3 and cannot wait for the '15 STI to come so I can pick one up! I look forward to being a part of this forum and cannot wait to be a new Subie owner once again! Here are some pics of some of the cars I used to own- enjoy! --Robb
IMG_0691-M.jpg

STI%20WRECK%20BOTTOM-M.jpg

colonialFSTI-M.jpg

%2707%20STI-M.jpg

m5rollingshots%20005-M.jpg

photo%20%286%29-M.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
First and foremost:

Welcome to the forum:

2) hot damn that crash pic. Glad you made it out in one piece!!

3) track experience, car variety. Awesome!!!!!!

You have quite a lot under your belt sir! Very happy to have you as part of the team!! :tup:

Sick previous rides!!!!!!! And that m3. Oh my oh my!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Welcome. Glad you could join us.

Now how did you crash that beauty?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Glad you could join! I hope you enjoy your stay! :D I'm glad you made it out of that crash okay. It speaks volumes about these cars. :tup:

Robb

Thank you I appreciate it! Yes the first thing I will do with the new STI is to take to Sebring and see how it does after the engine breaks in!

Robb

Haha sorry about the novel intro! It was my friend who was driving and I was showing how the DCCD works and we went around a corner in the wet and during his panic while we oversteered he never let off the gas and tried to fight it in stead of "both feet in" I was yelling and we hit an oak tree head on and rolled over. These cars are safe as hell I hope nobody has to find out like I did. It's hard to tell but you can see the engine was pushed down from the firewall and both airbags deployed and we just walked(jumped out from the passenger door opening to the sky) away without issue. I dont want to think what wouldve happened in another car in that same scenario to be honest! But just know they are safe in case the worse happens!!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Which dccd setting was the car set on during the oversteer?

Robb

Which dccd setting was the car set on during the oversteer?

If I recall I think he spun the dial all they way down right before we turned to his street and he floored it and the irrigation system in his neighborhood was on and the rear kickd out, then he tried to overcorrect and we ended up sideways sliding with the rev limiter bouncing and nailed the tree and rolled. All in about what felt like a second it was a scary ride. I remember being surprised how fast the rear spun around esp with AWD but given that 90' turn and wet road physics didnt care apparently!

Did the same happen with you on a different setting before?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
No ive never had any issues. I only used auto in previous winters. However the other 3 seasons i was in free lock. This winter my sti is hibernating. Granted i dont take hard turns any other time besides when its dry and above 20 degrees outside. Tires dont do too well for me to feel comfortable taking hard turns in any other condition especially since i havent been on an professional road/tracks. But for what it is i feel pretty comfortable pushing the car.

Fyi: only person that ever sits in the driver seat of my car is me and only me.

In previous cars, with friends and family, cant trust what peoples experience is or how theyll drive or react to circumstances. Unfortunately you learned that the harder of ways.

Robb

Nice I see and yep the DCCD really works for different conditions. I have the RE070's on at the time which were amazing in the dry but on a wet road not so much! Ever since that incident though I really pay attention to who drives my cars to say the least! But it was an accident and not intentional at all and its history now. Does the STI not do so well in the snow or do you keep it for nicer weather? I am in FL so I have no idea about the salt/ice/snow damages that can occurr to a car so I figure its a common practicve to have a snow daily driver in those climates!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Well i drove with sumitomo htr z3 and re760 summer tires in the snow. Never again. Stupid decision and mistake. You can go back and forth but you cannot turn to save your life. I had blizzaks first winter. Most amazing experience ever lol. I had my car through 3 ohio winters. Took a beating. This year they poured so much salt before it even started snowing. I said no way in hell. It was 2-3x more than in the past. So we got a 1994 toyota pickup as a beater. Let me tell you... Rwd is so much fun in the snow!!! (Great rear tires for traction otherwise id be dead)

Youre in florida eh? How does your car enjoy those super hot days? :lol:

Robb

Well i drove with sumitomo htr z3 and re760 summer tires in the snow. Never again. Stupid decision and mistake. You can go back and forth but you cannot turn to save your life. I had blizzaks first winter. Most amazing experience ever lol. I had my car through 3 ohio winters. Took a beating. This year they poured so much salt before it even started snowing. I said no way in hell. It was 2-3x more than in the past. So we got a 1994 toyota pickup as a beater. Let me tell you... Rwd is so much fun in the snow!!! (Great rear tires for traction otherwise id be dead)

Youre in florida eh? How does your car enjoy those super hot days? :lol:

Wow yeah no kidding man that would be drift city for sure!! I dont blame you I would have a snow car too for some days to avoid the salt/ice issues as well. Yeah it gets hot as a mutha down here for sure I swear it is getting hotter as each year comes on! But the trade off is nice to have beaches 30 min away and this time of year it just gets chilly- no ice or salt crap anywhere so the roads stay in great shape especially if your car is lowered! Well stay safe with your truck in the snowy stuffs and have fun with your STI when your able to bring it out again!!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow yeah no kidding man that would be drift city for sure!! I dont blame you I would have a snow car too for some days to avoid the salt/ice issues as well. Yeah it gets hot as a mutha down here for sure I swear it is getting hotter as each year comes on! But the trade off is nice to have beaches 30 min away and this time of year it just gets chilly- no ice or salt crap anywhere so the roads stay in great shape especially if your car is lowered! Well stay safe with your truck in the snowy stuffs and have fun with your STI when your able to bring it out again!!

Ill be able to enjoy the sti come spring. Ah i have a question!

Como estan las mamacitas en las playas alla? :lol:

Robb

HAHA I don't know spanish at all but my limited Cuban exposure thanks to Tampa will reply with yes bro- hot girls are all over the beaches but in some places they are old as FL cause beaches here are known for spring break AND retirement golfing communities! If I am way off base then sorry I tried! ;)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
HAHA I don't know spanish at all but my limited Cuban exposure thanks to Tampa will reply with yes bro- hot girls are all over the beaches but in some places they are old as FL cause beaches here are known for spring break AND retirement golfing communities! If I am way off base then sorry I tried! ;)

Well thats good to know. Your car may break necks but not as much as those girls! :lol:

Robb

Certainly glad everyone was ok, what I want to know, though, are you still friends? lol. Glad to hear you're getting back in. :)

Ha ha yeah of course it was a pure accident and if anything that event that night brought us closer to be honest. He was apologizing for a month straight after that I was tired of hearing about it as I was focused on a replacement Subie! Working in auto insurance I've worked enough cases to know that cars are replaceable but people are not- ever. Just the other day our kids were playing together I was just thinking what could have happened had we not been in a Subaru that night and I really couldn't answer myself. It's a damn good thing to know they are not only fun but safe if needed as well!