Boost Gauge... Check this out!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
So my friend saw my Arduino water gauge and he wants me to make him a series of similar gauges for his custom dash set up. I decided to start with the Boost Gauge.

I plan on adding a menu feature to this to configure a variety of options for use with 2.5, 3 and 4 bar sensors or simply take the signal from the existing map sensor in the car. Then also add a menu for an option to change and set the warning limits. I will also be adding a barometric sensor to automatically adjust the gauge for the altitude as you drive from one altitude to another as well as a bunch of other features.

Here's what I have so far...
tard.GIF

View attachment 5087 View attachment 5088

Updated 1/8/2014; Unit is perfectly calibrated for a GM 3 bar MAP sensor

Update 2/28/2014 with some of the features I previously spoke about in subsequent posts like baro comp, 0-5v out, data log to SD and data dump to computer plus the addition of a simple clock with Date and Time.

Attachments

• BoostGauge_schem.jpg
    BoostGauge_schem.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Untitled Sketch_schem.jpg
    Untitled Sketch_schem.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 108
  • BoostGauge_pcb.jpg
    BoostGauge_pcb.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Now that is full of awesome!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'ma gonna sell these things when I have something packaged :D

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What kind of price range will the be in?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Cost to me...

Arduino $11.00
RGB LCD $14.00
MAP Sensor, 2.5 bar $25.00
Enclosure $7.00
LCD Enclosure $7.00
Display Cable $6.00 ($1.00/ft)
Connectors $3.00

Cost $73.00
+10%EBIT $80.00
+25%Overhead $ 100.37 (Final Cost)

$100.37 + 45% Margin = $145.50 (make it an even $150)

To much or priced right?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
That's cheap. Great price point.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I could imagine doing a single DIN radio and then adding a couple of these underneath.
Flush mount the display .

Oh the ideas.

Holy sheet that's some awesome.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
If I get good enough to code these things with out refering to existing code I'm gonna make a multi gauge with a 7" touch screen. I saw one company already does this but I am a far far way off from that.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
If I get good enough to code these things with out refering to existing code I'm gonna make a multi gauge with a 7" touch screen. I saw one company already does this but I am a far far way off from that.

Hit the books. People are waiting

Last edited by a moderator:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
The Holy I know can do anything. ;)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Made some progress on the project. I changed the MAP sensor to a 3 bar GM sensor because they are common and cheap and it is capable of reading boost up to 29psi.

I also incorporated barometric compensation so the boost will now be accurate no matter what the altitude or atmospheric conditions. I think this is the only one that does that... or at least the only one under $200. I also added some more customizations.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Love love love love love love it!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
You don't wanna hide it.