AEM Air Intakes add an est. 32HP to the 2015 Subaru WRX STI.

kbaldi29

I have no mods whatsoever. The drop in was it. After a week I took it out. I have tracked my MPG's closely since I bought the car, 80% of my driving is highway driving. It was easy to notice the rough idle and MPG's drop. I am pretty sure it was the filter since it was the only thing I changed. AEM told me over the phone each car is different and they did not believe a car needed to be tuned to use their filter. They didn't say it "didn't" just that they "did not believe" it did. So if anyone wants a drop in, it is theirs lol

You gotta check you didnt leave anything out of place, that issue isnt because the filter, it sounds more like hose off (vacuum/boost leak)

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
You gotta check you didnt leave anything out of place, that issue isnt because the filter, it sounds more like hose off (vacuum/boost leak)

We're not trying to make any negative comments as you know in the past a lot of STi's had bad tunes from the factory. We also haven't had a chance to see a tune from a 2015. It must be pretty rich correct?

We're surprised this thread has also caught a lot of people's attention and we will make it right once we know the truth.

Thank you for giving us insight. Means a lot to us here.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I'd like to see it tested on an un-tuned car.

Bingo. I'm sure the intake helped improve flow, but the tune has to be the deciding factor. Stage 1 tunes, on a factory engine, yield similar results with the stock intake.

Even then, if Subaru has learned anything over the last 10 years, (especially after '07 :lol: ) it would be to tune a little more rich, considering they still use the same shitty emissions oriented pistons. They figure they can produce a safer engine, via a richer factory tune and pick up the lost power in AVCS tuning.

Maybe I'm wrong, I'm sure George can correct me.

Either way, if this intake makes good power as it is advertized, it's ultimately due to the leaner fuel mixture (maybe AEM recorded the factory AFR and built this to take advantage :unsure: ). The factory intake has been known to tune up to 400 whp.

I still don't understand why the '15 didn't have a redesigned EJ25...maybe with direct injection.

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We wonder if well ever get a straight answer from any of them.

No replies. Huh?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Doubtful we ever will

Really sad. We called out a big company for the truth and got accused of not knowing anything.

Guess their all about the $$$! The truth will set you free.

TK-421

Anyone who isn't on their payroll is going to be considered to not know anything. It doesn't matter if I know how to scale the MAF to properly account for the airflow changes in their intake or not, because I'm not an AEM employee, I don't know a thing. That's the way big companies mostly work, and I say mostly because some aren't like that.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
And this is why people blow up their STi. Information that isn't all so accurate. So sad.

PS: we're not on their payroll.

TK-421

Some cars can get away with tossing on an intake, cars like Honda's that run a sole MAP sensor and have zero airflow meters or hotwires can use these products, but when it comes to something like a turbo Subaru that's has been refined constantly and is very sensitive to adjustment any small change is going to throw it out of wack. But AEM doesn't care, as long as they can sell and move product, kind of like drug dealers, they don't care what the drug does to the end user, they just care about that money in their pockets.

Lols I wouldn't mind posting up the 15' tune once my STi arrives. As the usual reports over the years, its still poor. But it was the 15' WRX who seen the biggest of improvements with a Stage 1 OTS, best bang for the buck performance ride.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We agree 100% with you, but did you read this whole thread? Did you see the one guys answer?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
The reply to our question never got answered.

TK-421

The reply to our question never got answered.

It's not going to be answered, it takes some stones to accuse someone of something, but to not be able to back your claims up with proof is just hear say. For him to say none of us know anything, yet the majority of us have had STi's for years and and years and years or have worked on them for that length of time, means we know nothing at all because with his vast experience of intake design and technology on his '15 and the experience he had with a drop in panel filter, any rebuttal to the situation we might have is wrong.

That sort of one way thinking and closed mindedness belongs on another forum, when someone offers their experience and insight into a potential solution for an issue, consider it at all costs, if that means a better experience for the person, because someone is sharing their knowledge and personal experience, take it, it makes your experience better and as well as the person offering advice.

My .02 on the issue

End of Rant :)

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Nice rant, lol.

Also sucks for them that Goggle is on our side when people are searching AEM intakes for the 2015 STi.

We SEO'd the crap out of this thread.

TK-421

Yes bad publicity will affect their sales when it comes to STi's very few AEM products designed specifically for STi's and I believe it's due to their inability to provide clear technical support to their customers, maybe our cars are just a bit to sophisticated for them to understand, because I know AEM is big with the Honda and Acura groups. Do you ever see an AEM intake on a German vehicle or a GTR or Evo? The majority of Evo intakes I've tuned are either Injen or Buschur and STM

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Now that you mentioned it your right.

Yea I did read it as well. I just find it funny. I'm no expert but I do know how sensitive a turbo car can be to changes unlike a NA car. I'd admit I like the v2 intake on my eclipse and it does noticeable improvements. But I'd never in my life would accept an intake making 32 out of the box, only half that at most.