Highlanders MY03 STi Prodrive

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
aww man!!!!

At least the car looks great as always! :tup:

Highlander395

Sorry dude.. Contacted 4 companies, they all gave me prices but way to high to make it do-able.. I had to sell at least 30 to get the prices down :(

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Sorry dude.. Contacted 4 companies, they all gave me prices but way to high to make it do-able.. I had to sell at least 30 to get the prices down :(

I say get 30 people and then you can do it! Well 29 cause im the first on the list! :tup: :D

Highlander395

Continued working on the Sub last week:

Bought a small battery, weighing half of the original :) Stock vs new: 16kg vs 7.7kg
IMG_0389Custom_zps7f8e4cdd.jpg

The old waterspray tank in the boot was removed, so I had an ideal place for the new battery:
So:
- Fabricated battery tray:
IMG_0565Custom_zpsadeb1767.jpg

- Old cables out:
IMG_0553Custom_zps9db768b8.jpg

- New ones in:
IMG_0557Custom_zps8907cbdb.jpg

- Testfit:
IMG_0596Custom_zps485c7618.jpg

Once the trunk lining is back in place, it will look like this:
IMG_0516Custom_zps48185e42.jpg

I could have made it easy for myself and install it in front at the OEM location, but I needed that space for this:
Saikou Michi Dual Oil Catch Can
IMG_0497Custom_zps92f55551.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Sweet update!!! :tup:

Highlander395

Thanks!

Continued this week:
I noticed the intake manifold took a lot of heat especially during track days, so I decided to (try to) eliminate al radiant and transfered heat on the intake manifold. After some research, I collected everything to do 3 things:
1. Throttle body coolant bypass mod => No more hot coolant flowing through the TB
2. Phenolic spacers => will make the biggest difference.
3. PTFE spacers (thanks Tim) => coolant tank doesn't touch intake any more
I'm hoping I can touch the intake after a session of hard driving.. :lol:

Pics:
- Intake:
IMG_0606Custom_zpsd04d2c4f.jpg

- Phenolic spacers:
IMG_0611Custom_zps3fae18ec.jpg

- PTFE spacers:
IMG_0634Custom_zps7ea6ef55.jpg

IMG_0637Custom_zpsaf5ed64c.jpg

While the intake was off, I noticed a lot of dirt around the turbo:
IMG_0604Custom_zps4b3c4397.jpg

Caused by a ripped crank case ventilation hose...
IMG_0605Custom_zps653abdca.jpg

That hose had to go anyway because I needed a new one going to the dual catch can. This has found it's spot already but I still need a few parts in order to finish the install.
IMG_0636Custom_zps970b6d6c.jpg

To be continued ;)

Grinder34

Track Monkey
do you drive in winter? TB bypass can be problematic in cold temps i think.

Also, you may consider insulating the coolant hose that runs under the IM.

Highlander395

As far as I found info, I've never read about a TB gotten stuck by freezing. I think the air has to be really really really cold before u can actually freeze the TB valve. Another point is, that suppuse u do reach that temp, how long do u drive let's say WOT? It's not nitrogen, it's just cold air. I agree that during winter there's always a possibility, but winter time = mod time for me :) I'll try it this winter, I can always reverse it if I notice anything ;)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Nice! You should chime in on that phenolic spacer thread!

Highlander395

Joined, but not for any the engineering-stuff :p

Everything is back where it belongs now :)

Ordered a turbo blanket as well :mrgreen:
22950649-0a51-4ff9-8efb-0150337aee8b_zpse859abee.jpg

I'm curious how well this will perform to keep the temps down :)
IMG_0649Custom_zpsb2450a83.jpg

Engine bay now (with the DCC installed):
IMG_0652Custom_zps07f59c08.jpg

Long story short, engine works done:
- Battery relocation
- Saikou MIchi Dual Catch Can
- Turbo blanket
- TB Coolant Bypass Mod
- Phenolic spacers
- Cleaned :p
There's a couple of things left to do, but the engine has run today and all looks and hears to be ok?! :)

In the mean while I also finished debadging my grill which was sitting in the garage last 5 months:
IMG_0647Custom_zps769628a5.jpg

This weekend: fun fun fun!
Next week: check up to see if everything is ok? and start of project brake cooling :)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
That engine bay! :bigtup:

Looking forward to more! Let me know what your thoughts on the turbo blanket are in a few weeks after youve experienced it long enough.

Highlander395

Update for this week: brake cooling :)
Remember these:
IMG_0330Custom_zps6104d222.jpg

These would serve as basic entry point for the cold air. After some thinking about how, I started to go work. It's fully functional, but not yet completely how i would like it to be. :lol:

Started with some Corvette inlet ducts and shortened them a bit:
IMG_0682Custom_zps279d7e34.jpg

Cut a piece from the inner fender liner and fitted the duct:
IMG_0708Custom_zps39601b83.jpg

Got 95% wheel clearence :p
Inside it looks like this:
IMG_0705Custom_zps67253fab.jpg

Brake duct hose installed and cut to length:
IMG_0704Custom_zps39ca46cd.jpg

IMG_0724Custom_zpsb6d46aca.jpg

IMG_0725Custom_zps577e9d2b.jpg

Result:
IMG_0727Custom_zps62f46999.jpg

I was planning to get them attached to the disc brakes as well (brake ducts), but I'm going to try this out first and see how it ends. I need to know if they help, how fast they will wear and if our technical approval stations will make a remark :( If neccessary, the next step will be to improve the whole thing :)

As for my 'cooling' mods, I haven't really driven the car hard since the install.. So I'll get back with feedback later on ;)

Grinder34

Track Monkey
love the ducts.

Quantum backing plates werent too expensive IIRC, and should make a large difference to go the extra few inches.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I think this is my next DIY. Home depot should have those ducts, correct?

My question is: would anything get damaged if a rock flung up in there?

Highlander395

@ Grinder34: i know, i have found them earlier but getting them to europe is another story :p The backing plate will only be installed if this isn't sufficient, which i very much doubt.

@ Alin: which ducts do u mean? The black parts are from Corvette, only available via dealership. The hose can be found in home depot. But i'm not sure :) I got mine from work, some leftovers we didn't use :p
As far as damage.. I will let u know. The OEM backing plate is still in place so even if some debris would get that far, it won't get to the disc itself :)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
The orange hose. Im on my way to home depot as i type this

Highlander395

Oh, yeah i guess home depot has them :) I know they exist in black also, color has to do with temperature they can handle :) I used 80mm hose (3-3,5inch?)