The Batmobile_Engage Member Journal

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
So don't get the carbon fiber hood scoop you're saying? We want it.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
So don't get the carbon fiber hood scoop you're saying? We want it.

Ehh...it all depends. If you hardly ever drive the car, (which sounds like you JJ) it would probably hold up okay. Over time though, anything carbon fiber is going to deteriorate in one fashion or another. As careful as I am, I feel that shutting the hood hard enough to get it to properly latch causes small cracks that eventually become big enough to see.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Makes sense. Good advice.

Carbon fibers not for every day use that's for sure.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Ehh...it all depends. If you hardly ever drive the car, (which sounds like you JJ) it would probably hold up okay. Over time though, anything carbon fiber is going to deteriorate in one fashion or another. As careful as I am, I feel that shutting the hood hard enough to get it to properly latch causes small cracks that eventually become big enough to see.

I can attest to this. My hood is haggard with cracks.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I can attest to this. My hood is haggard with cracks.

Sorry to hear. That would be terrible if it was the entire hood. Mine is just the CF hood vent insert (in my stock hood).

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Sorry to hear. That would be terrible if it was the entire hood. Mine is just the CF hood vent insert (in my stock hood).

Yes it is the entire hood. They are growing like cancer. I will never buy another siebon hood again This is the second time this happened to me with this brand. My friend has Carbon Creations and a VIS and they are both just fine even five years later.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
So siebon is garbage?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
So siebon is garbage?
Not garbage necessarily, but there are better (albeit often way more expensive) brands. My rule of thumb is, don't expect ANY carbon fiber to last, especally if you daily drive the car.

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I think the Seibon trunk was a better fit/finish than my VIS. My trunk is painted, so may not show cracks as easily, but it certainly appears to be holding up fine. That being said, i'm very gentle with it, it takes almost no pressure to close it, and I only go in the trunk to get my breaker bar.

Crack protip: Drill a small hole at each end of the crack to stop propagation. It can be the smallest drill bit you have, but it helps reduce the stress intensify factor and will (at least temporarily) stop the crack from growing.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I'll have to get a couple close up photos for you guys to see what I'm talking about once I get home. Last week, the odometer rolled 69,000 miles, so I've been driving the Focus to work a lot lately.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Time for a new one, lol.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
You can try Rambo! :rambo:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
uploadfromtaptalk1433636552789.jpg

Ooookay. I'm gonna try this one again. Hopefully it won't fly off while driving, like last time.

This time I used A LOT more double-sided molding tape. I finished up the roll that Alin gave me and went through another entire roll of 3M molding tape.

It "seems" to be mounted more solid than last time and I don't even have any bricks sitting on it. Though I'm thinking about it...

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Where did you get that out for the 04 STi?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Where did you get that out for the 04 STi?
Alin gave it to me just after Christmas. I picked it up while driving through Cleveland on my way back to MI from PA.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Alin gave it to me just after Christmas. I picked it up while driving through Cleveland on my way back to MI from PA.

Sweet!
[MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION] where did you get it at?