GD Jswansti's 06 WRB STi

jswansti

Since i'm slightly freaking out about the future health of my car (like most of us do when problems arise), i'm trying to prioritize what to do/ look for in fixing it. First and formost is to have my tuner look at it when he gets back. But on the chance that it is unrelated to the tune, or he is unable to fix things by tweaking the tune, what should be next? I was thinking diagnostic testing by a reputable person. Smoke test for leaks, new front A/F sensor, possibly need new spark plugs, might get a new battery since im still running the factory one at 71000 miles (wont really fix anything but it wouldnt hurt to get one). The air filter was freshly cleaned when I got it, and dry, so i dont know if cleaning that would help. Gonna clean the MAF sensor. The cat shouldnt be clogged since its a brand new COBB system.

Im really hoping its something in the tune that needs to be tweaked; but i'm wondering what the worst case scenario could be? Messed up internals (would the car run as well as it is now if they were messed up?) Bad set of new injectors, or fuel pump? Trying to gather as much knowledge as possible so i know what steps to take should it not be something fixable up-front.

jswansti

Holy pm'ed me back this morning after looking over the data log I sent him last night. He says that it looks MUCH better after the complete refalsh. I'm super relieved that it was essentailly a miscommunication between the tuner and I. He suggested I ask the tuner to do a street tune to fine tune the closed loop fueling and idle trims, so I will once he gets back. I can stop having a constant mild heart-attack now :D

Holy pm'ed me back this morning after looking over the data log I sent him last night. He says that it looks MUCH better after the complete refalsh. I'm super relieved that it was essentailly a miscommunication between the tuner and I. He suggested I ask the tuner to do a street tune to fine tune the closed loop fueling and idle trims, so I will once he gets back. I can stop having a constant mild heart-attack now :D

Thats great news!

jswansti

Thanks, I agree :D Gonna take another log tomorrow (dont have the AP with me today, work and home are 2 different cities), logging the knock parameters for Holy to look at. After he looks those over he'll have a better sense of how much safer the car is to drive.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Me too!

jswansti

Okay! So I went by his shop to drop it off and he said that if I had time to do some logging and tuning while driving around we could do it right then, so we did. I explained to him what had been going on and we set off to work. While driving he said that the trims looked good for the most part and there was no Feedback knock which was good. He said the fine learning knock I had noticed was probably noise (Holy also suggested this), but he pulled a few degrees of timing out just to see what would happen and be safe. He also tweaked a few things for the closed loop and idle, and the car runs GREAT now! So happy to have her back! The idle is still not perfect but he attributes that to the large side feed injectors; I guess this is kind of common, some large aftermarket sidefeeds run smoother than others just the luck of the draw. But the idle IS smoother than before.

Funny thing is that I had planned on switching back to E85 for my next fill up before these things occurred, now i'll probably run one more tank of 91 just to make sure things stay smooth.

jswansti

Drive home last night and to work this morning were both smooth, love that my idle isnt bouncy anymore!

Cant wait to get my IGOTASTi gear from the mod giveaways! Thinking of putting the sticker on the corner of my V limited lip...

jswansti

So far so good! I havent been logging since I got it looked at, but it feels great, smoother idle, no CEL's, no stutter. I was gonna go back to E85 Sunday but they were forcasting snow showers with really low temps, so i'm on another tank of Shell 91 for now. But the weather looks good for the foreseeable future so i'll be switching back to the good stuff soon!! :tard:

jswansti

Yeah, I figured im already running on 91 and just thinking of hassling with cold start didnt sound appealing so I just kept with 91 for another tank. Next fill up is definitely E85 though!

jswansti

Finally got some pics up from installing exhaust and stuff like a month ago

My work area:
DSC04468.jpg

First step- getting intercooler off and heat shield:
DSC04473.jpg

turbo and stock dp:
DSC04476.jpg

Stock exhaust ad new exhaust:
DSC04479.jpg

DSC04485.jpg

DSC04480.jpg

DSC04487-1.jpg

new heat shield:
DSC04490.jpg

new intake inside fender:
DSC04499.jpg

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I have to replace mine soon. The cops keep eye balling me. I'm not good looking so I assume they are glaring at me because of my exhaust.